Saturday, July 15, 2017

Week 28 Reviews: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


From Goodreads:
Harry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. He is the boy who lived: the only person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.

Though Harry's first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it's his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.

Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment in the series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come.

From Goodreads:
Ever since Harry Potter had come home for the summer, the Dursleys had been so mean and hideous that all Harry wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature who says that if Harry returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor and a spirit who haunts the girls' bathroom. But then the real trouble begins -- someone is turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself!


My Review:
It's been a long time since I last read this series-the last time was at least before 2011 when I started this blog 6 years ago. I don't know the exact date that I first read these books, I know that my family started reading this series just a bit before Order of the Phoenix came out. So it's been a staple in my house for a while!

I've been planning on rereading this series for a while, since The Cursed Child was announced. Somehow, I never got around to it til now, when I got to see the movies as a special occasion, and of course I had to read the books as well!

When I think of Harry Potter, I think of wonder, of exciting adventures, and it never gets old! This series helped create many new readers. It's totally understandable, these books were just thrilling and creative and so easy to read!

It's been so long since I read these books that I had forgotten a few details. And I'd confused things that'd had happened in the book with what happened to the movie. So it was really great to set things straight. At least, as long as I can remember!

Absolutely loved reading these books, and I can't wait to reread more!

Author: J.K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #1, 2
First Read: 2005
Read: July 11th, 12th, 2017
Source: Own
Reason Why: Love this series so much, and I'm watching the movies, so rereading! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Books!
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Published: June 26th 1997, July 2nd 1998

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars










Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!