Saturday, September 13, 2014

Week 37 Reviews: Shadows, Obsidian, Onxy, Opal, Origin, Opposition











From Goodreads:
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can't deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren't a complication she wants, she can't stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she's drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can't stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.


From Goodreads:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

From Goodreads:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon's determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I've sworn him off, even though he's running more hot than cold these days. But we've got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I'm a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who's got a secret of his own. He knows what's happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I've seen someone who shouldn't be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

From Goodreads:
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn't fooling around. Doubting him isn't something I'll do again, and now that we've made it through the rough patches, well... There's a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can't protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I'm no longer the same Katy. I'm different... And I'm not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I'm capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we're stronger... and they know it.

From Goodreads:
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he's facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don't seem entirely crazy, but the group's goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?

And will they even be together?

From Goodreads:
Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.


Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.


They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.


War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.


My review of Shadows, Obsidian, Onxy, Opal, Origin

My Review:
So yeah, this is going to be a big review, mostly because of my favourite lines from each book, which each occupy a paragraph, and pretty big ones at that. Like, insanely long. Plus, it's the whole series review, and the first review of Opposition, So yeah, I have a lot of say about it!

Katy's last name is Swartz! I've totally forgotten it since Obsidian, or if it was mentioned later, in that book, because yeah, it's her POV, and it's not like she's going to be thinking about her last name! So a random bit of data that I now have! 


Wondering, how can someone's eyes look intelligent. Because it's what Daemon things about Katy's eyes in the first bonus chapter at the end of my copy of Obsidian of Daemon's POV. Just a random question. Because I have those. Because I'm me. I'm sorry for the guilt that his death caused Katy, but he, not Chris, but he, Blake, didn't deserve to live on this earth as a free person. And with his powers, locking him would be hard. Yeah. Also wondering, where is DB? Did they leave him near the end of Origin, when Matthew betrayed them? I'd love to know! 

Blake. Oh, Blake. Going from the normal guy that represented all that Katy wanted, to being just like her, to being a killer and a betrayer? And then a blackmailer! You just can't come back from that! And add to that the creepiness of going into her room and sleeping on her bed while she's asleep! Plus his earlier declaration of love. He just doesn't know when to give up! And then being the reason for my mini rant below! And then Matthew goes to live with him in betrayalville, population 2 dead people! Broke pretty much everybody's hearts, that he turned in Dawson and Bethany, and then Daemon and Katy! 

In Opal, near the end, when Daemon says to make a necklace out of the Opal? I went "No no no, make it an ankle bracelet under your pants so that nobody can see it right there and take it off like Blake, the evil betrayer!!!" Because I know what's coming! And because unlike the obsidian, which needs to pierce the Arum skin to work, the opal works by touching the skin. So it didn't need to be a necklace!

And I was thinking, instead of just building up a tolerance to onyx, however hard that was, that they could go in body suits, and oxygen tanks. So they aren't breathing in the onyx, and it's not getting on their skin. Because they know about the air borne onyx, and that getting sprayed in the face is worse then just touching it! It would've been much better if they'd done that!

Something that would go in favourite lines, because it's the source of the title, Origins, and the first mention of in the book as far as I know, on page 133. "I'm sure they'll show you eventually, and you'll probably wish they hadn't Origins are kept in that building." And yeah, that sounds pretty ominous!

In Opposition, I kept thinking that Katy would do like she did in Obsidian, and just show then that hybrids are actually stronger then Lux. Or just plain do it again, because it was pretty epic. But oh, well. That's just my vindictive side! And Katy did take out Sadi, the Origin. Which was pretty bad ass!

Loved the fact that both Origin and Opposition were in Katy and Daemon's POV's, because hey, the few bonus chapters in his POV are too few, and yeah, it's just what makes the series great, it grows, it has these characters, and it's just amazing!

Or the fact that instead of the regular serum like the one that Bethany and Blake got, Katy got Prometheus, the one that can heal a few things. The one that doesn't create a bond between the Luxen and the hybrid. So the time that Katy was shot? He still would've lived, but yeah, thank goodness that didn't have to play out, what played out in Opposition was hard enough! 

I loved that ending! So good, and takes in everything that happened in the series, and gave some pretty amazing happy endings to most of the characters that were left standing, Katy and Daemon's core group, and the mention of Hunter and Serena! And baby Ashley! One of the first female Origins! And poor Luc! The only one that we really know who is still alive but didn't get a happy ending. 

What would've been awesome, is if Opposition got a book to be to it, what Origin was to Obsession, that we could have more Arum world, and maybe Hunter's brother Lore, and yeah, that would've been awesome, because more world, more happiness, maybe seeing the invasion from another perspective! That would've been great. Oh, well. 

A weird thing about Opposition, that didn't make it bad, but just felt weird, was that this sense of surreality, that this book was in the same series as Obsidian. Because they are pretty different, and they've travelled so far, that even if they were attracted to each other, that didn't mean that they could stand the other. And the Arum was the enemy in Obsidian, while it was the Luxen who were the bad guys in Opposition, and they were working with Arum to win. A weird feeling, but it's what happens in a series with growth, and change, and that has more then 3 books, I think!

Favourite lines from Obsidian: "Pear. Par. Whatever." and "Well, I'm glad about the zombie thing. I like to think what's left of my brains are safe," I muttered. "And I don't read too much, There's no such thing as that!" True that! Never enough reading for me! "Yes! Like ET, asshole!" Oh, Daemon, not so smart to antagonize she that you just told your big secret to! "Oh yeah, certain stuff was definitely working." 2nd Lake scene!!! Squee!! "I brake-checked him several times. He'd blown his horn. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside." So hilarious! Or this: ",,,it sounded like World War III had erupted in the house. ... "I can't believe you ate all the ice cream, Daemon!" ... "I didn't all of it." "Oh, so it ate itself? Did the spoon eat it? Oh, wait, I know. The carton ate it." "Actually, I think the freezer ate it," Daemon responded dryly. Ah, the Black family, and their obsession with ice cream!

Favourite lines from Onyx: "'Resistance is futile, Kitten.' 'So is your charm.'" Hilarious! "People who didn't heart books didn't understand." and "Nah, books were more important than the Arum." Because books are all important! "Body said yes. Katy said no." Body, please win! "And I think you broke your butt." If it's possible to break a butt, then Katy did! "I'm not going to do anything stupid. Ad even if what I plan is risky and insane, it's a well-thought-out level of stupidity." Well, it is, but it's still stupid! And I don't have more because I read it away from my computer! Which sucks.

Favourite lines from Opal: "Wait. That means I'd probably get a better look at your butt, then." Ah, Daemon, you have some very boy thoughts in your head! "Want to hit me again?" Daemon is insane, and this is the proof! Love/lust has told him that pain is good if she dishes it. "...a common side effect of being around Mr. Awesome, I was learning." Well, it kinda sucks to have somebody ogle your date! "This isn't a paranormal fantasy or whatever the hell it is you read." In context, it's funny, because yes, it is a paranormal YA. But not funny in terms of the fact that they're fighting over her safety. "Petesburg was like the Bermuda Triangle for teenagers. Many came. Some were never see again while others resurfaced from the rabbit hole." So very true, in this series! "Codpiece?" Ah, the dangers of choosing a book at random in a hurry, you never know what you're going to get! "It must be his time of the month." Yeah, I almost wish that guys had time of the months, because yeah. Though the world would be a whole lot grouchier! Though Daemon here, is at that point! "By lunch, Daemon's mood was somewhere between brooding and evil." Well, he does have a reason to be that way! "Breath-I'll finally be able to breathe." This is such a touching line! "They say everything place is haunted. That's why I love them." Well, they would say that to stay in business! "Ah, what the frig, man?" I really enjoy that, I can just hear it in my head! "Dawson really was a suicidal Energizer bunny." Now that line, I can just see in my head! "My lips change lives, baby." Ah, Daemon, and your ego! "Bad little Kitten." I loved that, that she shocked Ash, because Ash deserved it! "Lovely decorative colors." Yes, all white is so lovely! Love the sarcasm! 

Favourite lines from Origin: "I'll burn the world down to save her." Such a heart-breaking line! "My stomach roared to life, grumbling like a troll." Bad Daedalus for not feeding her! "We'd bored easily as kids." Yeah. I'd bet! "Demented Kitten." Well, that's not nice, but it's part of why Daemon/you, since it's his POV, likes Katy! "Gee, what part of this whole thing is incorrect?" Uh, how about the part where it's a stress test, and they are beating on Katy? "This dude was as charming as...well, as me on a bad day." Yeah, Archer kinda is! "What can I say? It's my sparkling personality." Yes, yes it is! "Jesus H. Mary mother of Christ in crutches." That is a pretty weird curse, Daemon! "Huh, the infamous building B strikes again." Oh, that's a great line! "Guard of the Moment" that got the new name of "Tool," and "Tool had a point, but like I cared." Yeah, why would you care about your prison guards? "Was Nancy hoping that Daemon and I would cave to our wild-monkey lust and bring little Daemon babies into the world?" Yeah, but that's pretty wrong, on Nancy's view! "Well, aren't you just a special snowflake." Go, sarcasm! "No offence but I have no desire to be making any weird babies with you right now." Aw, too bad! Those babies would be so cute! But then the bad guys aren't getting the kids! "I don't expect a normal life. I just expect a life with you." Heartstrings, just plucking right along! "Well, how about this. We're both amazing." Yes, you both are! "Patient Too Stupid to Live" and Patient Most Likely to Die"ah, Daemon's nicknames again for the same person! "Gee, way to make me feel stupid." Especially after the trying weeks she's had! "Did I blame myself? Hell to the no. Did it piss me off and make me want to douse the entire compound in gasoline and start towing matchings? Hell yes." So good! "...but then again, they were like baby Einsteins on crack." So hilarious, and so apt! "Like a kitten-that's what I keep telling you. Your hackles are raised." Oh, yes indeedy, they are! "Baby, I'm so far up the ladder there aren't any pegs under me to be knocked down." Oh, arrogance is you, Daemon! :And I was holding a box of condoms in my hand." Which would be embarrassing, except that it's Daemon and Katy! "I'm mental for you." So sweet and corny! Love it! "By the way, don't forget the box of condoms on the floor." Yea, that one, it's OK to be embarrassed! The interrupting cow joke! "I get that, but this is like going from the frying pan into the damn volcano." Such an increase of heat! I'm burned! "Well, the whole time we were downstairs, I was so picturing him naked." Who can blame you? Archer sounds rather good looking! "Screw finding better sheets." Well, the thought counts! "That was just a meet and greet. I want to know their hopes and dreams." I think that may kill one of you, doing that! "Good. So let's get married." Uh, Daemon, that's not how you ask! "It's probably just an accident or a naked person running through traffic." Well, I hope not the accident, because the nakedness doesn't usually cause physical injury! "Well, then, it's time to introduce the world to a little bit of  extraterrestrial awesomeness." That has to be one of the best lines in the history of lines! "I can keep her out of trouble while you guys run around glowing like a bunch of fireflies." Poor Ash, Andrew did say that he wanted to freak out a few humans. Now she won't get a chance! "...glowing like damn HIT ME NOW, PLEASE AND THANK YOU signs." Change, change, change! "Oh s**t. ET so phoned home. kids." Gah, this ending! 

Favourite lines from Opposition: "..I feel like I need to go sit in the corner and start rocking, whispering Daemon's name over and over again." 2 days and nothing! Not good! "Sigh. Books. I missed them." I would, too, because it's been over 4 months without them! I'd go in withdrawal!  "Oh, holy llama drama three babies?" Yeah, and since they'd be Origin babies...yeah. "The whole invading-Earth art kind of gave that away." Yes, not a very good thing for us humans! "Hell, I'd keep her in Bubble Wrap if it weren't so damn creepy and also inconvenient considering I had a terrible habit of obsessively popping the damn things until not a single bubble was left." That is very strange. "I'm having inappropriately timed thoughts right about now." You're a guy, Daemon, what do you expect, don't you always? "I have absolutely no problem with that. Whatsoever. Like, ever. And ever. Forever. You got me?" More guy stuff! "It's like you have a special skill when it comes to finding condoms. Seriously. They must just fall out of the sky whenever you're around." More hilarity! "...I started picturing people twerking-everyone in the limo. Quiet Luxen Dude. Rolland. Sadi. All of them bent over, butts in the air, looking like damn fools." Yes, they totally deserve that and more! "Like, one Luxen suddenly became two not-so-put-together Luxen." Go, Katy! "If we weren't in the middle of a fight, I'd have you up against a tree right now." Oh, Daemon. Getting hot and bothered in a fight is not very smart! Especially when you're outnumbered! "But oh wells." Love this! "Daemon 2.0? I don't think the world can handle that." I don't think we can! "Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of the time I am thinking something that would turn the tips of your ears pink." Yeah. You, boy. Boys=dirty thoughts! "Eyes up here. Or I'll start feeling like man candy." Uh, you are. But that doesn't mean you aren't more then that, too! "'We really could use The Avengers right about now.' 'Screw that. We need Loki.'" Agreed! "Daemon, on the other hand. looked positively gleeful as I moved to stand next to him while Nancy did the walk of shame." Which she totally deserves, but I, like Katy, would prefer not to witness it first hand! "...different ways the Arum could maim and kill the Luxen in less than five seconds flat, a conversation I never thought I'd hear Daemon taking part in so enthusiastically." Nor I, seeing as the Arum and Daemon have something of a grudge! "Did I miss school. Not really. Did I miss life before this crap, when it was just me, my trusty pen, and Katy setting in front of me? Yeah. Sometimes." His trusty pen! I miss it, too! "You know, when she's not on Team Kill Everyone." Yes, Dee has to come out of it! "The fact that Archer had never eaten at Oliver Garden but knew about The Walking Dead absolutely befuddled me." Yeah, that is slightly strange! "You'd get jealous if she hugged a tree." Yeah. He would. He's very mineminemine! "Is this like some kind of magical Harry Potter door? Or something? What? You know, like the Room of Requirement? The door kind of just appears...Oh, never mind." Oh, so funny! "I'm giving you five seconds to back the hell off her. One. Four. Fi-" What happened to two and three? They're so sad! "To a very unlikely, and very temporary, partnership." And that just sums it up, doesn't it? "Plus, she wasn't really good with flowers and all that jazz." Well, her talents are more medicine, and it's Katy that has the green thumb! "We're not standing here or anything." Because PDA is weird for the people around you! "'You know how I love a challenge.' "So do I, Daemon. So do I.'" Full circle! Love this so much! "Your inner book nerd will have a book nerd orgasm." Oh, I want to know more, because, BOOKS!!!! "Although he seemed disturbingly fascinated with the selection of garter belts." He is going to be the groom. I think that is a perk. "You know, I'm doing my thing like a chicken wing." Which makes, like, no sense! 

Yeah. This was an amazing, fantastic series (and the favourite lines were held up to a higher standard, which is why the whole books weren't the favourite lines) and one that I'll hold near and dear to my heart! 

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
First Read: March 24th, 2013, September 29th, 2012, October 9th, 2012, January 5th, 2013, September 15th, 2013
Read: September 6th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 10th, 2014
Source: Tuebl, Own, Tuebl
Reason Why: Love this series, so rereading it, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book, and Opposition is a End of Series 2014 Book and a Reward Challenge 2014 Book! !
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Published: February 20th 2012, November 29th 2011, August 14th 2012, December 1st 2012, August 27th 2013, August 5th 2014

Shadows:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars










Obsidian:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars










Onxy:
/5 Hearts
/5 Books
/5 Stars










Opal:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars










Origin:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars










Opposition:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!