Saturday, May 31, 2014

Week 22 Review: Trial by Fire

From Goodreads:
Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected.

But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?

My Review:
This book, I absolutely loved it! And it totally deserved the honour (in my mind) of being read on my birthday! I just had to read this book, it's by Josephine Angelini, it's the start of a brand new epic, amazing and wonderful series, and it just had to be read!!!

I loved the world that Lily went to, where there's magic, and science, and doctors, and teachers of elements of either, are the bad guys. Oh, and where there's another her, a Lillian, who is the bad guy, who's lived a life without the sickness of Lily because she used her magic as a Crucible-as a Witch, all her life, where she's the most powerful of the whole group. And Lily has that same power, if not the same training and skill in using it quite yet.

I loved how the crucibles worked, and how the magic worked, and the mechanics, like Rowen, helped them, knew them and their bodies more intimately then they knew themselves, how magic could be used, like the stones that I forgot their names for everyone, to the 4th level with fire-which is why in the Lillian Salem, why witches survived the whole hunt for them way back when.

At first, I thought the thing with Rowen, was that Lillian had killed him. But then we meet him, and he hates Lillian, and by extension, Lily. But as they go along, he rediscovers the reason why he loved Lillian, and new ones to love Lily. So I feel a bit sorry for him, falling in love with 2 versions of the same person, one that did something horrible to him (that we find out) and another that hasn't, and seems to be going in the direction of good!

I cannot tell how much I loved this book, and I can't wait for the 2nd book after that ending!!!

Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: The Worldwalker Trilogy #1
Read: May 24th, 2014
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Loved her Starcrossed series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book and WoW Book!
Publisher: Feiwel &Friends
Expected Publication: September 2nd 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!