Saturday, April 26, 2014

Week 17 Review: The Dead Girls Detective Agency

From Goodreads:
Pop quiz: What would you do if you had to solve your own murder to get anywhere in death?

Maybe if I hadn't slept through my alarm, slammed into Kristin (my high school's reigning mean girl) or stepped in a puddle, destroying my mom's new suede DVF boots (which I borrowed without asking), I wouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, and I wouldn't have been pushed in front of that arriving train. But I did, and I was.

When I came to, I was informed by a group of girls that I'm dead. And that because I died under mysterious circumstances, I can't pass straight over to the Other Side. But at least I'm not alone. Meet the Dead Girls Detective Agency: Nancy, Lorna, and Tess--not to mention Edison, the really cute if slightly hostile dead boy. Apparently, the only way out of this limbo is to figure out who killed me, or I'll have to spend eternity playing Nancy Drew. Considering I was fairly invisible in life, who could hate me enough to want me dead? And what if my murderer is someone I never would have suspected?

My Review:
This was a sweet, cute book, of life after death, about solving your own death, and the question of, do you really want to stay on Earth forever? Which is something that Tess might be facing, and she, through the course of the book, is quite unlikable, because her answer, is no. And that Charlotte, and other ghosts like her, would be at the hotel for a few days, at like, a month max, Tess seemed to take out her anger out on Charlotte. Though we only really learned that at the end. Yep.

Charlotte's boyfriend, he was a dick. Sleeping around with the cheerleaders, just days after his "soul mate" died-kissing one at said girlfriend's funeral? After a heart-moving elegy?  That he was the reason why Charlotte died? Just raises the bar there.

I found the whole concept of teens in one hotel, finding out who killed them, with tons of rules, and adults in another, they were only really mentioned a few times, really interesting. Their detecting skills could've been a smidge better, but they are teens, and it's not like they were really trained by professional investigators. The rules that they have to follow-and Edison teaching Charlotte some of the slightly bending the rules trickts-that was pretty awesome too.

The murderer? I would never have guessed, and the police would never have, because they thought that it was an accident, not a murder. So they were all alone in solving Charlotte's murder, and that was pretty fun to read about! And the characters were fun, too, bookworm Nancy, fashion plate almost typical no brains blond Lorna, and mean girl Tess, yeah, they were just awesome!!

I enjoyed this book, and I hope that I can read the second one soon!

Author: Suzy Cox
Series: Dead Girls Detective Agency #1
Read: April 19th, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: September 18th 2012
5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!