Saturday, April 26, 2014

Week 17 Review: Ashes of Twilight

From Goodreads:
Wren MacAvoy works as a coal miner for a domed city that was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century to protect the royal blood line of England when astronomers spotted a comet on a collision course with Earth. Humanity would be saved by the most groundbreaking technology of the time. But after nearly 200 years of life beneath the dome, society has become complacent and the coal is running out.  Plus there are those who wonder, is there life outside the dome or is the world still consumed by fire? When one of Wren's friends escapes the confines of the dome, he is burned alive and put on display as a warning to those seeking to disrupt the dome’s way of life. But Alex’s final words are haunting. “The sky is blue.”  What happens next is a whirlwind of adventure, romance, conspiracy and the struggle to stay alive in a world where nothing is as it seems. Wren unwittingly becomes a catalyst for a revolution that destroys the dome and the only way to survive might be to embrace what the entire society has feared their entire existence.

My Review:
This was an OK book. I liked the story, the premise, but the writing, it wasn't something that I liked too much, and I think I had to build up a tolerance to it, to finish it, beyond the fact that I wanted to know how it ended, because I'm curious like that.

Part of it, was Wren's voice, it was in 1st person present, I'm pretty sure. I'm writing this a few days after I read it, so of course I don't really remember if I'm right or not, but if not, there was also, Wren seemed to repeat some things, not close together, but over the course of the book, stuff about the shiners and their community, mostly.

I did enjoy the story, I got really mad that the higher ups thought that preserving their way of life, their bloodlines, was more important then freedom, then the safety of everybody else. Which was just really, really stupid. I mean, it takes place in what, 2060 something, at least, if my math was right, and the kings and queens in our time, right now, they don't have that ruling power any more, there's governments. At least, that I know of. There could be some kings and queens with ruling power out there. But if they are, I don't know about them.

That ending, with the glance of freedom, to the pretty much destruction of their village, and the escape, that was pretty awesome, if sad. Because water can be a good force, and it can be a bad one, but it's always water, and it does what it does.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, because it was a great story, and yeah, I will read the next 2 books, because I want to know how it ends!!

Author: Kassy Taylor
Series: Ashes Trilogy #1
Read: April 21st, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good! And it's a 2014 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Published: November 12th 2012
5/5 Hearts
2/5 Books
2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!