Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 32 Review: Cast in Shadow

From Goodreads:
Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered -- and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin...

Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging, Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers -- powers that no other human has. Her task is simple -- find the killer, stop the murders... and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

My Review:
I don't know why I took so long to read this book! It was freaking amazing, I absolutely loved it, and I know I've found another favourite author, because yeah, this was just fantastic! I mean, there were such great characters, and a full fleshed world, if we didn't see all of it.

I loved all the different species that this book had, that Kaylin had meet all but 1 or 2 of the races, that they each had their own language, and from the Immortal Dragons and Barrani, to the mortal Humans, Aerians, Leotines, and others.

Oh, and the betting that Kaylin introduced, and how they would bet on whether she was late or not, and that most of the time she was, because she had a late birthing to attend, to try and heal the mother or child, or both, to try and make sure that they survived. Because Kaylin wanted to make up for her past, a past that we slowly learn about.

And with that past, is Severn, a complex guy, who is tangled up in her past, and then is now in her present, and yeah, she tries to kill him twice, but not really, because if she'd really tried, he'd be dead, and he isn't, because he's mentioned in subsequent books.

There were such great characters in this book, Kaylin Severn, Tiamaris, Teela, Tain, the Hawklord, Marin, that had depth, and that may or may not be in future books, but I hope so, because they were just awesome and amazing, and I want to know more about them, and this world, so I must read more!!!

This was just a spectacular book, don't know why it took me so long to read it, but I have, now to read more!!!

Author: Michelle Sagara
Series: Chronicles of Elantra #1
Read: August 9th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: It sounded really good!
Publisher: Luna
Published: July 1st 2005
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!